Q: What tips should I follow when braking?

What tips should I follow when braking?

A: Your brakes are the single most important s...

Your brakes are the single most important safety feature on your car. While all it takes to apply the brakes is pressing the brake pedal on the floorboard, there are a few tips that you’ll need to know to ensure that you’re using the system correctly. Here’s what you should know:

• Never ride with one foot touching the brake pedal. This keeps the brakes engaged and creates significant wear (and heat).

• On steep downward grades, use the 1, 2 and D3 gears to help slow the vehicle rather than riding the brakes, as this reduces their effectiveness.

• Deep water can negatively affect brake performance – test them before you need them to ensure they work correctly.