Q: What tips should be followed for wearing seat belts properly?

What tips should be followed for wearing seat belts properly?

While seat belts might seem like relatively self-explanatory safety devices, it’s actually pretty easy to use them incorrectly. Doing so can seriously reduce your safety and even put you in greater danger during an impact. Follow these tips to wear them properly:

• The lap belt should go over your hips (not your stomach or thighs).

• The shoulder belt should run across your chest and over the shoulder.

• The shoulder belt should never touch your neck, but should never be higher than your shoulder.

• Never share a seat belt.

• Never recline the seatback too far, as you can slide under the belt in an accident.

• Always wear your seat belt. Never rely only on the air bag system.

• Children under 13 should ride in the back seat (and must wear their seat belts).

• Pregnant women should always wear a seat belt.

3. What tips should be followed for wearing seat belts properly?