Q: What should I know about towing a trailer?

What should I know about towing a trailer?

Your SUV can be equipped to tow a trailer with a light load. You’ll need to see the driver side door placard for load and weight limits specific to your vehicle. However, there are several precautions that you should follow when towing any trailer with any size load:

• Make sure you have a tow hitch compatible with the trailer.

• Don’t tow anything for the first 1,000 miles on a new engine.

• Don’t overload your vehicle (in either cargo or towing capacity).

• Towing requires extra maintenance – be prepared to have your oil and other fluids changed regularly, and potentially have your brakes replaced more frequently.