Q: What should I know about the parking brake?

What should I know about the parking brake?

Your car is equipped with a parking brake to help ensure safety when parking at all times. It’s not designed just for when you park on an incline – it should be used at all times. Here’s how to set it:

1. Push the parking brake pedal all the way down.
  2. Watch for the Brake Light to turn on in the dash.
  3. Put the car in park (or neutral if you have a stick shift).
  4. To release the brake, pull the lever located just above it.

Tips

• Don’t use the parking brake to slow or stop your vehicle. That will damage it. However, it can be used in an emergency if your normal brakes are not working.

• Don’t drive with the parking brake on. Check that it is released before putting the vehicle in drive.

• If the Brake Light is on in the dash but the parking brake is not engaged, have the system inspected.