Q: What should I know about the floor mats?

What should I know about the floor mats?

A: While they might seem pretty insignificant,...

While they might seem pretty insignificant, your floor mats are actually a serious matter. When the right floor mats are installed correctly, you should hardly notice them, but the wrong mats, or even the right mats not installed correctly, can become a significant safety hazard. Here’s what you need to know:

• Never install a generic floor mat not designed specifically for your car.

• Always make sure that the driver mat is installed over the posts in the floor. This prevents the floor mat from sliding up into the pedals.

• Always double check that your driver front floor mat is secured on the retaining posts before driving.

• Never stack one floor mat on top of another one.

• If you’re installing a new floor mat, make sure that the eye fits over the securing post, and then lay the other part of the mat down.

Always double check all floor mats before driving. A loose floor mat can cause serious safety concerns.