Q: What should I know about the brake system?

What should I know about the brake system?

While your car’s brake system is pretty low maintenance (not NO maintenance, though), there are several things that you need to know to ensure that it stays in good condition and you stay safe on the road. Here’s the most important information:

1. Your brakes operate on a vacuum-assist basis, so if the engine stops running, the brakes will be harder to use. Press the pedal as hard as you can and plan for longer stopping distances.

2. Don’t drive with your foot on the brake pedal (even very lightly) as any pressure at all engages the brakes and turns on your brake lights. Keep your foot off the pedal completely unless you’re slowing down or stopping.

3. Avoid “riding” your brakes when going down steep hills or long grades. Downshift the transmission instead.

4. If you drive through deep water, the brakes will get wet. There’s a chance that they will slip when applying them. Test them first before you need to use them.