Q: What should I know about run flat tires?

What should I know about run flat tires?

If your car is equipped with run flat tires, you have an important advantage over those without this technology. Run flat tires are designed to be used even if they’re punctured, which means you don’t have to pull over and install a spare tire. You do still have to have the tire replaced, though. Here are some other important tips for using run flat tires:

• Don’t drive more than 100 miles with a flat tire.

• Don’t exceed 55 MPH with a flat tire/run flat.

• The tire pressure light will still come on if you have a flat or low tire pressure with a run flat tire.

• If you’re not sure you have run flat tires (RFT), check the sidewalls for either “RFT” or “DSST.” Both of these denote a run flat.

• If you have run flat tires on your car, you will NOT have a spare.

• If the exterior temperature is very hot, you cannot drive for 100 miles on your run flat. Have the tire replaced as soon as possible and limit your driving.

• You will notice a difference in handling when driving with a punctured run flat tire as opposed to an inflated tire.

• Run flat tires cannot be serviced by all automotive service providers.