Q: What should I know about preparing to tow?

What should I know about preparing to tow?

If you plan to tow with your SUV, there are several things to know. Yes, you can definitely tow a payload, but the weight limit varies depending on the engine in your car (2.5-liter engines are limited to 1500 pounds, and 3.0-liter engines are limited to 3500 pounds). However, there are quite a few other things that should be addressed before you get started. Here are the basics:

• Have any towing accessories professionally installed.

• Only use load-bearing tow hitches and make sure that only 10-15% of the trailer’s weight is on the tongue (you have to balance the load properly).

• Make sure the trailer complies with your state’s laws regarding brakes (some states require the trailer to have electric brakes).

• Always use safety chains in addition to the trailer tongue lock.

• Make sure that your trailer’s lights are functional and operate in sync with the lights on your vehicle.