Q: What should I do to protect infants or small children?

What should I do to protect infants or small children?

Infants and small children are at risk any time your car is on the road. It’s vital that you have them properly secured. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Infants should always be placed in a rear-facing car seat in the back of the car. Never place a rear-facing car seat in the front passenger seat. Never try to position a rear-facing car seat so that it faces forward. If you need to care for the child, sit in the back with him or her and have someone else drive.

2. If the child is too large for a rear-facing car seat, he or she should be placed in a front-facing reclined car seat properly secured in the back seat of the car.

3. Putting a front-facing car seat in the passenger front position should only be done if no other option exists. Small children should always be in the back seat.

3. What should I do to protect infants or small children?