Q: What should I do to maintain the child restraints and seat belts?

What should I do to maintain the child restraints and seat belts?

While your child restraints and seat belts shouldn’t need much in the way of maintenance, it is important that you know how to care for them properly. After all, the safety of your family hinges on them. Here’s what you should know about each:

Child Restraints

• Regularly inspect your child’s car seat or booster seat for damage and wear.

• Regularly clean your child’s car seat booster seat.

• Always inspect the seat belt and tethers when putting your child in the car, even if the car seat or booster seat hasn’t been removed.

Seat Belts

• Clean your seat belts when they become dirty with a mixture of water and mild soap.

• Don’t let wet seat belts retract – keep them extended until they dry.

• Use a dry, clean cloth to remove dirt from around the retractor opening.

3. What should I do to maintain the child restraints and seat belts?