Q: What should I do to care for my battery?

What should I do to care for my battery?

A: Your car is as much an electronic system as...

Your car is as much an electronic system as it is a mechanical one. Even the engine needs electricity in order to operate. Caring for your battery is important and will help you avoid potential problems, like being stranded with a dead battery. Technically, your battery is maintenance-free, but there are a couple of things you should do. The most important is to inspect it regularly. Here’s how:

1. Turn off the engine.

2. Open the hood.

3. Check the battery cables and posts for signs of corrosion (white buildup on the terminals and posts).

4. If you notice any corrosion, clean it off using a water/vinegar mixture, or a post/clamp cleaning tool.

Be careful when working with a battery to avoid electric shocks or sparks.