Q: What should I do if the shifter won't change gears?

Basically my 95 Yukon won't change gears when I shift. It stopped in reverse and it just stays put. Can't turn on and the shifter is very loose. Any idea how to fix this?

Hi, thanks for writing in. This is likely a shift linkage issue. There is a small plastic piece on the shift lever that helps to connect the shifting cable to the lever you see inside the vehicle. When these break, this can happen. The reason the vehicle will not start is usually due to what is called a neutral safety switch which prohibits the engine from being started when the transmission is in gear. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.