Q: What should I do if I need to get towed?

What should I do if I need to get towed?

While your car is designed to last for a long time, many issues could result in the need to have it towed. Of course, you need to make sure that your car is being towed correctly in order to prevent further damage. Here’s what you should know:

• Automatic Transmission: If your car has an automatic transmission, it should never be towed with the drive wheels (front) in contact with the road. It should be towed with the front raised, or on a flatbed truck.

• Stick Shift: If you have a stick shift transmission, your car can be towed with the front wheels in contact with the road as long as the transmission is in neutral.

Tips

• Never tow a car with an automatic transmission with the front tires on the ground.

• Always make sure the parking brake is off before towing.

• Don’t exceed 50 MPH while towing. This applies to manual transmission vehicles with the drive wheels on the ground.

• Don’t drive more than 50 miles towing the car. This applies to manual transmission vehicles with the drive wheels on the ground.

3. What should I do if I need to get towed?