Q: What safety tips should I follow when towing a trailer?

What safety tips should I follow when towing a trailer?

Adding a trailer to your car means that you have additional weight to deal with, but it also means that you have additional length. Depending on the load you’re carrying, it may also mean additional height. Follow these simple safety tips when towing a load:

1. Speed: Drive slower than normal.

2. Gears: Use a lower gear for hills, but use drive for flat, level roads.

3. Turns: Turn slowly and swing wider, particularly in right-hand turns.

4. Braking: Brake sooner - sudden or hard braking can cause the trailer to flip.

5. Hills: Pay close attention to the coolant temperature gauge when towing in a hilly area. It puts additional strain on the engine and may cause overheating.

6. Wind: A trailer will be more susceptible to wind – drive more slowly and avoid high winds.

7. Reverse: Backing a trailer can be difficult. If you’re not experienced, try to park in areas where you can pull straight out.

8. Parking: Make sure to set the parking brake and consider using a chock behind each tire on the trailer.

3. What safety tips should I follow when towing a trailer?