Q: What safety precautions should I follow involving seat belts?

What safety precautions should I follow involving seat belts?

Seat belts are crucial pieces of safety equipment, but they must be used properly in order to do their job. Following a few simple safety precautions will help keep you safer in a moving vehicle.

• Only one person should use a seat belt at a time – never use the same seat belt for two people.

• Seat belts should be free of any obstruction, and that includes accessories like shoulder pads, clips and more.

• Never place anything between you and an air bag, particularly hard or sharp objects

• When driving or riding, always keep hands and arms away from air bag covers to reduce the chance of injury during inflation.

• Never obstruct front air bag covers. Covers should be clean and free of any objects or items.

• Never attach items to doors in a vehicle with side air bags. During inflation, hard objects (cup holders, ashtrays, etc.) can cause injuries if a side air bag inflates.

3. What safety precautions should I follow involving seat belts?