Q: What precautions should I follow with the rearview camera?

What precautions should I follow with the rearview camera?

A: While your car’s rearview camera offers gre...

While your car’s rearview camera offers greater safety by providing you with a direct view behind your vehicle, there are quite a few precautions that you should follow regarding this system. Here’s a quick rundown:

• If you’re towing something, the view from the camera will only include the trailer or other item being towed. Don’t rely on the camera for backing up.

• Your camera lens can be found near your license plate on the liftgate. Clean the lens regularly. Don’t use abrasive cleaners or you may scratch the lens.

• If the image from the rearview camera is distorted, it may have water spots on the lens, or another substance causing the distortion (snow, mud, ice, etc.).

• The camera will not show things that are near the corners of the bumper or below the bumper.

• Don’t try to use the camera with the liftgate open.

• Using the camera in low light situations or at dark requires illumination from the backup lights (they need to be working).

• In the event of a rear end collision, the camera will need to be inspected for operation and positioning.