Q: What precautions should be followed with the supplemental restraint system?

What precautions should be followed with the supplemental restraint system?

Your car is equipped with a supplemental restraint system (SRS) – your air bags. There are several air bags throughout the cabin, but it’s important that you follow some safety precautions here. While air bags can help to keep you safe, they can be dangerous if you’re using the system incorrectly. Here’s what you need to know:

• Always wear your seat belt (and your passengers must buckle up as well). Never rely on the air bags.

• Never place a rear facing car seat in the front, as a deploying air bag could seriously injure or kill the child.

• Children under 13 years of age should sit in the back to avoid potential injury from the air bags.

• You need at least 10 inches between your chest and an air bag.

• Keep your arms out from in front of air bag positions as the inflating air bag could break it.

• Position your seat as far from the air bag as possible while still maintaining control of the vehicle. Passengers should likewise move their seats back.

• Never try to modify your air bag system.

• Never try to service your air bags yourself.

• Never make modifications to the front bumper of your car as this is where the impact sensors are located.

3. What precautions should be followed with the supplemental restraint system?