Q: What part do I need to replace to fix a bad idle and not starting issue?

The car will start if it is cold, but as soon as you press gas pedal, it revs up like it is supposed to and then cuts off. Then when you try to restart it, you have to pump the throttle.

Hi, thanks for writing in. There are several issues that could be causing your symptoms. You may have an issue with your fuel delivery system. Your fuel pump may be weak, or attempting to push fuel through a clogged fuel filter. Both would deplete the amount of fuel available for the engine. Another issue you may be having, which symptoms are a little closer to what you describe, is the idle control valve or solenoid. This part keeps your idle where the computer need it. It regulates the fuel air mix coming in and makes sure without throttle that the engine continues to run. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• What part do I need to replace to fix a bad idle and not starting issue?