Q: What parking tips are suggested for safety?

What parking tips are suggested for safety?

Parking seems like such a simple thing, but it can actually be more complex (and more dangerous) than most drivers assume. Here are some important tips to help you do it safely and correctly:

• Never park over flammable objects (grass, plastic, debris, papers, etc.). The catalytic converter and other exhaust components on your car get very hot and can ignite these materials, causing a catastrophic fire.

• Always set the parking brake, even if you’re parking on level ground.

• Always set the parking brake before you put the car in park (or let off the clutch if you’re driving a stick shift).

• Never leave your car in neutral (stick shift). Use first gear if there’s a chance of the car rolling backward, or reverse if there’s a chance of the car rolling forward.

• Don’t leave the engine running if you won’t be in the car. Turn it off and take the key with you.