Q: What makes my engine stall like this?

My 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe stalled out the other day while I was driving it. That is to say, everything stalled. No lights or power steering. Braking really difficult. How is a total failure like this possible? You would think there would be a failsafe or something, I could have been killed! Good thing for empty country roads! I have 18,000 miles on this car and I am sure it will run for a while more. How can I get it fixed so I never have to worry about this happening again in the future?

The manufacture has come out with a service campaign that covers possible stalling when coming to a stop or in instances of deceleration. The campaign number SC929A dated 4/17/2015 covers throttle plate cleaning and engine control module (ECU) reprogramming. The ECU controls the charging circuit of the alternator, and during deceleration can cause the alternator to overload the engine and cause an excessive drop of RPM, potentially stalling the engine. Applying this fix should resolve your issue.