Q: What kind of oil can I put in my car and can I put it in myself?

I need to put oil on my car. The oil pressure gauge came on. Can I put oil in my vw cc myself and what oil?

The oil pressure light will illuminate if the oil level in the engine has fallen so low that adequate pressure cannot be maintained. If the oil level is low, for your specific make and model you should add oil with a viscosity rating of 5W-40 and that meets Volkswagen standards 502.00 and 505.01. If you desire that your oil level be checked and possibly changed, simply request an engine oil/filter change and the responding mechanic will come to your location and address all your concerns.

To give you additional background, the oil pressure light is a warning light that will alert you if oil pressure is too low for safe engine operation. Once the light comes on, if you don’t shut down the engine immediately (instantly), there is a significant risk of damage to the engine if such has not already occurred. The warning light system measures pressure ONLY and thus it is entirely possible for there to be plenty of oil in the engine but, due to a fault in the oil pump, oil pressure falls too low for safe engine operation. Oil pressure can be tested using an external gauge, connected to an access port on the engine block, but if pressure is truly low obviously running the engine even during the test contributes to the damage. If an external gauge is used, the test should be brief. If oil pressure is low, it is possible to install a new oil pump if the pump is defective but of course there is the possibility that the engine has already incurred some damage. If oil level is adequate but the warning light is on, the recommended service to request is an oil pressure inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will let you know why the light is on and what the required repairs will be. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.