Q: What keys come with my car?

What keys come with my car?

A: Your car should come with several different...

Your car should come with several different keys. They’re used for different things as well. You should have two master keys that include an integrated remote control, as well as a valet key. There will also be a key number plate. Save this in a safe location, as you’ll need it if you ever need to have a new key cut and you don’t have a master with you.

If you have a smart key system, you’ll have a fob that includes a remote, as well as a mechanical key insert. The fob functions as an electronic key and allows you to do everything from unlocking the doors to cranking the engine.

• Use the valet key anytime you need to leave the car with someone (anyone you don’t want to give a master key to).

• Always keep the mechanical key and electronic key (fob) together. If the battery on the electronic key dies, you’ll need the mechanical one to get into the car and crank the engine.