Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

Q: What is the trailer weight rating?

asked by on

What is the trailer weight rating?

A: If you intend to pull a trailer with your v...

If you intend to pull a trailer with your vehicle, you need to know the trailer weight rating for the vehicle. This number reflects the maximum weight allowed for the trailer plus the weight of its cargo. If your vehicle has the 2.5-liter engine, then your trailer weight limit is 1500 pounds. If you have the 3.5-liter engine without a towing package, your trailer weight rating is 2000 pounds. Adding the tow package to the 3.5-liter engine increases your trailer weight rating to 3500 pounds. Make sure that the weight of the trailer and all the cargo loaded on the trailer doesn’t exceed this amount.

Tips

  • Make sure to load your cargo correctly on the trailer. 60% of the load should be toward the front and the remaining 40% should be loaded toward the rear.

  • Make sure the tongue weight of the trailer is 9% - 11% of the total trailer weight.

  • If the trailer weight is over 2000 pounds, have a sway control device installed on the car.

Was this answer helpful?

Need advice from certified mechanic? Get help now!

Over 1000 mechanics are ready to answer your question.
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Ask a Mechanic
(100% Free)

Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.

Ask A Mechanic
Over 10,000 questions answered!

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Save up to 30%

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: How do I check the brake fluid?

Your car’s brakes are the most important safety system onboard. They’re hydraulic, which means they require fluid in order to operate. When you press the brake pedal, fluid is sent from the master cylinder through the brake lines to the...

Q: How do I install my child restraint system?

There are many different types of child restraint systems on the market, and they often have different setups. To be sure that you are safely and properly installing a child restraint system, you should always follow the restraint manufacturer’s instructions....

Q: Water pump

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Usually a stock water pump on a Toyota RAV4 should last much longer than 35,000 miles. However, there are times when the water pump can fail prematurely for multiple reasons. Since you have a...

Related articles

What Causes Hoses to Leak?
While the largest part of your engine is mechanical, hydraulics plays a significant role. You’ll find fluids at work in a number of different areas. Your car's fluids include: Engine oil Transmission...
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Oklahoma(DELETED)
Having your car registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission is an important part of driving legally in this state. You will need to do this within 30 days of moving to Oklahoma...
P0240 OBD-II Trouble Code: Turbocharger Boost Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance
P0240 code definition Turbocharger Boost Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance What the P0240 code means P0240 is an OBD-II generic code triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the intake boost...