Q: What is the trailer weight rating?

What is the trailer weight rating?

If you intend to pull a trailer with your vehicle, you need to know the trailer weight rating for the vehicle. This number reflects the maximum weight allowed for the trailer plus the weight of its cargo. If your vehicle has the 2.5-liter engine, then your trailer weight limit is 1500 pounds. If you have the 3.5-liter engine without a towing package, your trailer weight rating is 2000 pounds. Adding the tow package to the 3.5-liter engine increases your trailer weight rating to 3500 pounds. Make sure that the weight of the trailer and all the cargo loaded on the trailer doesn’t exceed this amount.

Tips

• Make sure to load your cargo correctly on the trailer. 60% of the load should be toward the front and the remaining 40% should be loaded toward the rear.

• Make sure the tongue weight of the trailer is 9% - 11% of the total trailer weight.

• If the trailer weight is over 2000 pounds, have a sway control device installed on the car.