Q: What is the seat belt energy management feature?

What is the seat belt energy management feature?

Your car is equipped with advanced seat belts that include an energy management feature. This is actually an important safeguard during an impact. It’s designed to do a couple of things:

• During an impact, the energy management feature can extend the seat belt slowly in a controlled way to reduce the force on your body (particularly the chest).

• The seat belt will also retract after extending, holding you (or your passengers) in the seat.

Tips

• The seat belt energy management feature is designed to work in frontal collisions.
  • The seat belt energy management feature is part of the advanced seat belt retractor.