Q: What is the problem and what do I need to buy to fix it?

Hey I have a 1997 Mustang Coupe. The other day my right wheel gave out and my ball joint won't sit in place anymore. I believe the rubber bushing is deteriorated. Somebody said that it was a lower control arm but I'm really not certain. Please help because this is my first car and I need to get it working in the next week or so thank you.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help.

If your ball joint will not sit in place properly, it is most likely broken. This will involve replacing either the lower control arm or the ball joint only depending on the set up of the vehicle. Most likely the ball joint had some play prior to the give out and most likely for some time as well. When a ball joint starts to wear out it will develop free play and cause the wheel to be able to move up and down more than it should. As soon as this starts to happen the ball joint should be replaced (front or rear) because it can eventually break. Hope this helps and best of luck.