Q: What is the fuel pump shutoff system?

What is the fuel pump shutoff system?

Your car has a number of important safety features built into it. One of them is a fuel pump shutoff system. This is activated if the car is involved in certain types of impacts, and if an air bag is inflated. It may also activate if the engine stalls out. The point is to ensure that fuel doesn’t leak from a damaged line. However, you will need to know how to restart the engine if there’s nothing wrong:

• Turn the ignition to off or accessory.

• Turn the ignition back to the start position.

Tips

Before you crank the engine, make sure there are no fuel leaks. You may smell fuel, but you may also see gas that has leaked on the ground. Always get out and inspect the area before restarting the engine. If you notice any fuel leaks, do not start the engine. Have your car towed.