Q: What is the fuel pump shutoff switch?

What is the fuel pump shutoff switch?

A: Your car is equipped with a fuel pump shuto...

Your car is equipped with a fuel pump shutoff switch designed to activate during an accident. This prevents fuel from pumping if the lines or engine has been damaged, preventing a possible vehicle fire. If the engine will turnover but not start and the car has been jolted, bumped or jostled, check the switch. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Turn the ignition to off.
  2. Check for any fuel leaks (you will smell gasoline if there’s a leak).
  3. Locate the switch under the glove box. You’ll need to remove the panel to get to it.
  4. Push the Reset button on the switch.
  5. Turn the ignition on.
  6. Wait a few seconds for the pump to send fuel to the engine.
  7. Crank the engine.

If the engine doesn’t crank on the first try, press the Reset button and try cranking it again.