Q: What is the break in schedule?

What is the break in schedule?

If you purchased your car new, then it’s important that you follow a specific break in schedule. This isn’t a myth – the automaker actually recommends that you follow a specific schedule to ensure that the engine is properly broken in before you really cut it loose. Here’s what you should do:

1. During the first 1,200 miles, don’t get the engine over 4,000 RPM

2. Never press the gas fully in any gear (first 1,200 miles).

3. Avoid hard stops during the first 1,200 miles.

4. Avoid towing a trailer for the first 1,200 miles.

5. Avoid fast/hard starting.

Tip

If your vehicle has already racked up more than 1,200 miles, there’s no need to follow the break in schedule. It only applies to new cars.