Q: What is the best way to deal with a company that has rendered deceptive service by placing a defective crankshaft sensor on my ca

Specifically, I had an initial issue with the car cranking, stalling then connecting. At first incident, I was told by a company that starter was bad to the tune of $538.00. About a week afterwards, I had the same issue with sputtering, then stalling and connecting, then the engine malfunction light staying on. The same company says now it needs a new crankshaft sensor at 'right around $300". At this point without waiting for permission to fix my car, they 'installed the new part', refusing to let me purchase it because 'they insure their parts'. At this point I'm overcharged/outdone, and my car is still not repaired! Within 1 week, same scenario. This time, the Honda dealer says the starter pack also needed an ignition coil replaced, and the crank shaft sensor was bad! What is the solution for me the consumer? I read reviews from prior customers that encountered the same or worse treatment. Is it fair game to satisfy shady service and fall into a money pit ? HELP HE CONSUMERS OUT!!!

Hi there. This is an unfortunate situation and I am so sorry that this has happened. There are several ways you can protect yourself as a consumer. Ask for industry credentials that are current: ASE requires retesting every 5 years to keep technicians current with technology. Ask a lot of questions, if you don’t understand what is happening ask, ask, ask, and ask again. A good technician will be able to show you and explain what is going on. Ask what the failure is and why it failed. In my 20+ years of tenure, my favorite question to ask trainee technicians was " Why does that part need to be replaced?" If they squirmed or hesitated, I told them to try again or assisted them in the diagnostic process. Always ask questions and be sure you understand the what, why, and how of the diagnosis. Ask for them to show you why the part is bad and seek a second opinion if needed. Your Mechanic has several technicians that are willing to come to you, provide you with a transparent estimate, explanation of the diagnosis, explanation of the failed part, and help you better understand how your vehicle operates. I suggest having one of our qualified technicians perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a check engine light inspection.

• What is the best way to deal with a company that has rendered deceptive service by placing a defective crankshaft sensor on my ca