Q: What is the airbag system?

What is the airbag system?

A: Airbags are a passive restraint for reducin...

Airbags are a passive restraint for reducing the chance of serious injury in the event of a crash, and they have been proven to do so. Airbags are inflatable bags located inside of interior parts of a vehicle that can inflate and provide a pillow-like surface for the occupants to impact in the event of a crash. Wherever an airbag is located in the vehicle, there is a label on the panel covering it. Once the airbags have deployed, they must be replaced.

Tips

• Airbags are made to be used on occupants that are belted into their seats. Relying on an airbag to save you in a serious crash all by itself is like jumping from a rooftop and expecting a awning 5 stories down will catch you.

• Do not underestimate the force of an inflating airbag or of the impact in a crash. Position yourself in the seat in a way that is conducive to the safety features working by keeping feet on the floor and not reclining the seat unnecessarily.

• When the airbag system is active, there will be a light on the dashboard illuminated that resembles someone in the seat of a car with an airbag inflated in front of them. The light will then go off if the system is operating correctly.