Q: What is proper Volvo brake repair procedure?

I bought this car in Aug 2015, with 53000 miles, as a certified Volvo from a Volvo dealer. There has been some vibration in the steering wheel, on braking. In Sep 2016, the dealer said the front rotors need to be replaced, not urgent. On the freeway, had brakes grabbing, not slowing down the car. Took car to a local Fletchers Auto. They said the passenger rotor needs to be replaced, but its pad is at 8mm (said the pad was probably replaced, but not the rotor). They said the rears were at 4-5mm, still okay. They replaced only the front passenger rotor, and reused the brake pad. At first it was fine, drove next day, and there is significant fast vibration in wheel, accelerator. Looked at rotor, there are angled score lines all around the rotor, going from center to outer rim, aimed towards rear of car, about 45 degree angle. Should the pad be replaced when the rotors are? Are front brakes done in a pair, or can they be done individually, on a Volvo?

A: When warped brake rotors are replaced, they...

When warped brake rotors are replaced, they are generally done as a pair. Anything you do to one side of the vehicle, you should do the same to the other side such as replacing rotors, brake pads or suspension parts. In the event of the vibration in the steering wheel during braking, both front rotors should have been replaced as this is a sign the brake rotors have been overheated. Typically brakes pads that are 8-12mm are near new, but if they have been overheated or have heat cracks on them they should be replaced as well. If the angled grooves in the rotors are uniform, they were probably designed that way and are called slotted rotors. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at your vehicles brakes to offer a more personal diagnosis.