Q: What is my best option for a knocking sound in my engine?

My car is 2000 miles over when it was due oil change. My oil light came on and went off as I was leaving work to go have the oil changed. Upon getting on the highway, my car started making a knocking sound and die on the highway. I had the car towed to my house. I checked the dip stick and it showed some oil, but it was low. I stuck 2 quarts in it, and started it for just a few seconds. It started without dying, but is making a loud knocking noise. Is the problem a rod bearing? And, How expensive do these type of issues tend to cost?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. It seems that th...

Hi, thanks for writing in. It seems that the lack of oil changes and running low on oil caused the engine to damage the bearings in one or more of the rods. The engine would need to be replaced or overhauled to repair the problem. If the vehicle is covered under an extended warranty, you may have a problem with coverage if you did not keep up with maintenance. The cost of the repair will depend on the engine you have and parts pricing. The estimated repairs will be above $3000 to $4000. Please let us know if you have any other questions about your situation, we’d be happy to offer our insight.