Q: What Is Going On?

Hi, I think I might have a blown head gasket but don't know. The car doesn't hold coolant unless it's sitting in the driveway. It heats up very quickly and very lightly smokes at stops or when I turn the car off. The oil isn't milky and there are no visible signs of a leak.

The only way to be certain is to have the cooling system inspected. Head gaskets can leak externally as well as internally. If they are leaking internally, generally you will see a whiteish smoke from the tail pipes. Running hot and leaking coolant can be caused by this or other components or issues. For example, if the thermostat is not opening properly, the vehicle will overheat and probably leak coolant. Blockages in the cooling system (radiator, heater core, etc) can be restricted due to lack of servicing the cooling system, can have the same effect as an unopened thermostat. Coolant will not circulate to the radiator to be cooled, run hot and possibly leak. Another possibility can be the water pump has failed and is not circulating the coolant. Have the coolant leak inspected to find the exact cause.

3. What Is Going On?