Q: What is causing my power window to act strangely?

The power window on the driver’s side functions perfectly when it opens. Has never failed to open when the switch is depressed. Problem occurs when trying to close the window. First occurred on cold day in Jan, but attributed it to just being cold. Issue returned 12 July. The window starts to close then stops. The window then moves in about 2” increments after multiple attempts to close. Have been able to get the window closed, but becoming more difficult and unreliable. Switch is new. Problem persists. Also, window seems to be moving slower than normal when closing. Sometimes the window will close normally. Window Motor? Loose wire? Bad ground? I’m at a loss at this point.

It sounds like the window motor is approaching the end of its useful life. When electric motors age and wear, they become less efficient and less powerful. They will slow down and start to draw more current. The power window circuit is protected by a circuit breaker. Your motor when pushing the window up, is exceeding the limit of the breaker, then it opens the circuit.

The breaker only takes a second or two to cool off and resume, and then the process repeats. There are some things you can check and try. Check the rubber window track. Make sure it is in good condition. You can lubricate it with a silicone grease, like dielectric or tune-up grease. Use a small paintbrush to lube the inside of it where the edge of the glass contacts.

Clean and wax the window glass. Friction from the glass to the rubber atop the door panel can slow a window down. Window tint will also create more friction. Doing all of this before replacing the motor might be enough, but if the motor is tripping the breaker, it will probably need to be replaced. You can also try these things on the passenger side to see how much faster it will become. If you want to have this the window motor replaced, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to perform this service.

3. What is causing my power window to act strangely?