Q: What driving habits should be avoided to enhance tire life?

What driving habits should be avoided to enhance tire life?

Keeping your tires in good shape requires more than just keeping an eye on tire wear and air pressure. It also means practicing safe driving habits and avoiding bad habits. What should you avoid doing? Here are some of the things that will have a significant negative impact on your tire life and even your overall safety:

• Speeding: The faster you drive, the less time you have to react and the more wear you put on your tires.

• Fast starts and stops: Staring and stopping quickly can add a lot of wear to your tires, as well as to other components.

• Hard/at speed turns: Taking turns to quickly will definitely affect tire wear, but it can also lead to rollovers in a vehicle with a high center of gravity like your SUV.

• Potholes and road debris: Everything you hit in the road, from potholes to debris, has a direct impact on your tire life.

• Curbs: “Curbing” is never a good thing. Running over curbs, or striking one with the sidewall of your tire, can cause a blowout.

3. What driving habits should be avoided to enhance tire life?