Q: what does the coil actually do? or used for?

just wondering what the coil does & what it does & when do you know it needs replacing?

Hi there. Ignition coils transform low voltage electrical power 12 volts D.C. to high voltage current 50,000 volts D.C. or higher. The spark generated by the ignition coil ignites the fuel and air mixture in the engine that enables the car to start and run smoothly. If an ignition coil is not working properly, no spark will ignite the air fuel mixture, causing a misfire. A bad ignition coil can severely damage the engine or catalytic converter. When the ignition coil is damaged, it is unable to create this high voltage spark, and your engine will have a hard time running, or may not run at all. It’s at this time that you know that the ignition coil needs to be replaced.

3. what does the coil actually do? or used for?