Q: What does it mean when a 1999 Mercedes-Benz shuts off when the headlights are turned on?

What does it mean when a 1999 Mercedes-Benz shuts off when the headlights are turned on?

A: This is a common problem when the crankshaf...

This is a common problem when the crankshaft position sensor is faulty. This is a small sensor on the front of the motor down near the crankshaft that monitors crankshaft speed which is relayed to the main computer to control ignition timing and fuel injection.

When this is not working properly, this can cause intermittent stalling and loss of ignition spark. This may not be directly related to the headlights being on or off as this may be a result of a different issue or potentially a short in your electrical system.

If you’d like to get this fixed, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your stalling issue firsthand and help you repair it as necessary.