Q: What does it mean if the message center shows a warning that reads “brake fluid level low?”

What does it mean if the message center shows a warning that reads “brake fluid level low?”

A: In order for your brakes to work properly, ...

In order for your brakes to work properly, they need fluid. Your car has a hydraulic braking system. Fluid pressure is sent from the master cylinder through the brake lines to operate the calipers, which squeeze the brake pads against the rotors to slow and stop your car. If you see the warning message in the dash that says “Brake fluid level low,” it means that the brake reservoir sensor has detected that the fluid is below the minimum line. You’ll need to top it off with DOT 3 brake fluid and then have your system inspected immediately.