Q: What Do Tuning Chips Do?

What do tuning chips do?

A: Most tuning chips alter the actual readings...

Most tuning chips alter the actual readings of certain sensors to the engines computer. The engines computer relys on data from the engines sensors and adjusts certain settings accordingly. For instance, on a cold start, the computer will richen the fuel mixture by adding more fuel to the engine. The computer determines it is a cold start based on data from the engine coolant temperature sensor.

A "tuning Chip" often alters data from the engine coolant temperature sensor in order to dump more fuel into the engine, more fuel is often mistaken for more power.

There are several tuning chips on the market today and all promise a huge bang for your buck and lead a consumer to believe that horsepower and fuel mpg gains will be seen. The truth is that todays vehicles have extemely complex computer control systems that have been engineered to squeeze the absolute most power and economy with the least amount of emission output. The addition to these devices voids most manufacturer and aftermarket warranties and could harm the engines computer or other control systems.