Q: what could be the reason the car would die while driving?

the car died twice while driving but started when turned off and restarted. the mechanic talked to scion and recommend replacing the cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor and 4 ignition coils. we have a baby on the way and medical bills coming in, so we are looking to do things as much on budget as possible. if we replace just the cam & crank sensors is there any chance if the coils are bad they could damage the new sensors?

3. what could be the reason the car would die while driving?