Q: what could be the reason the car would die while driving?

the car died twice while driving but started when turned off and restarted. the mechanic talked to scion and recommend replacing the cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor and 4 ignition coils. we have a baby on the way and medical bills coming in, so we are looking to do things as much on budget as possible. if we replace just the cam & crank sensors is there any chance if the coils are bad they could damage the new sensors?

Hello there, a few faults can cause the vehicle to die while driving. The most likely would be the camshaft sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, wiring issue, battery, or ignition switch.

Generally, the fault can be narrowed down to just one failed part and there is no need to replace many different parts. For example, either the cam or the crank sensor can cause the car to die, but it would be unlikely that both would fail at the same time. If you feel like you need help with these checks, feel free to contact a qualified technician who can diagnose your stalling issue firsthand and perform any repairs required.