Q: What causes a car to die while accelerating and what causes a loud knocking that goes away?

Wife was driving our 2011 Nissan Versa when she came to a stop sign. She started to accelerate when she heard loud knocking and then the car died. She turned it back on and didn't have any other issues. What could have caused this?

Hi there:

The problem you’ve described with your 2011 Nissan Versa is incredibly hard to diagnose without completing a diagnostic scan to download any error codes that may have been triggered when the vehicle stalled. However, it is common for some newer vehicles to have an intermittent electrical problem with the ignition system or the crankshaft position sensor that can cause this type of issue. The only way to know for certain is to have a professional mechanic complete a car is stalling inspection. This will allow them to complete the diagnostic scan to determine what issues might be causing this problem.

3. What causes a car to die while accelerating and what causes a loud knocking that goes away?