Q: What are the largest rims and lo pro tires that will fit on a '00 durango

I have a 00 Durango with 15 in stock wheels and I'm trying to swap them out with 20 in rims with lo pro tires and won't even let me turn wheel cuz too big. So my question is how do I make 20 in rims fit on a durango OR what is the largest size of wheel and tire that will fit????

A: First, changing your tire sizes can have dr...

First, changing your tire sizes can have dramatic effects on the car's performance. Here are a few things to keep in mind. If the diameter changes, you change the final drive ratio. When this is changed, your speedometer will no longer be accurate, the ABS may be affected, and the transmission shift points may not be favorable. Websites like tirerack.com, lists all the specifications of their tires, including overall diameter.

When you have a larger wheel, the stock brakes may no longer be sufficient. The inertia of the larger wheel has a spinning flywheel effect. You will need to upgrade the brakes. You can go to a custom, physically larger brake, a more aggressive brake pad and shoe, or high performance rotors, or all of the above.

Also, when you have a larger wheel, the assembly is much wider towards the outer circumference that a stock tire and wheel. This creates problems with clearance in every fashion, especially on the front. The wheel or tire may contact suspension parts, the inner fender, or the lip of the fender, especially when the wheel is turned, the suspension is compressed, or a combination of both.

You have a wishbone suspension, with coil springs on the front of your SUV. If you make the "track" wider on the front, the extra distance on the end of the control arm has a leveraging effect on the spring. This essentially softens the spring rate, and will lower the ride height.

To summarize, drastically changing the wheel size has a serious effect on the suspension. If not done correctly, you really could be compromising the safety of your car. Consider going to an 18, but make sure to have experts do the proper modifications.