Q: What are the door locks for?

What are the door locks for?

A: Door locks are a very important and overloo...

Door locks are a very important and overlooked feature on modern vehicles. They serve a number of functions to improve safety and security.

• Locking the doors prevents strangers and passersby from simply entering the vehicle. This is helpful when the vehicle is occupied or unoccupied.

• In the event of a crash, locked doors are less likely to fly open under extreme force. Locking the doors while driving also prevents passengers from opening the doors and falling out.

• In a worst case scenario, a child could get into a vehicle that is unlocked and find themselves unable to get out, possibly due to child safety locks being activated. This is extremely hazardous, doubly so in hot weather.