Q: Q: What are my issues?

Light squeals while moving 5 hours north to upper michigan, arrived and went to start vehicle, Light squeals turned to screams from front serp belt area. I lubed behind pulleys, started jeep, smoke I thought was from lube, until serp belt snapped after I shut it off. Found burnt rubber buildup on alternator pulley and alternator pulley is froze in place. I Bought new serp belt but have not replaced yet because I feel alt needs replacement. What else should I check before pulling and replacing alternator?

If you are unable to move the alternator pulley by hand it needs to be replaced. There has been a bearing/bushing failure, more than likely, and the only choices you have are to rebuild or to replace the alternator. On a side note, I would also try spinning all of the other components that the belt drives, to be sure that there isn’t any other problems associated with alternator problem. If this is something that you could use a hand in diagnosing/repairing, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics available at YourMechanic.com.

3. Q: What are my issues?