Q: Wear&Tear versus Accident damage to Shocks

Hi, I hit a pothole with low profile 19 inch wheels on my BMW 325I coupe at 100km/h owing to poor Road conditions in South Africa.

The impact was so hard that my rim cracked. I felt my alignment deteriorate so I asked BMW to assist. They informed me that my front shock is leaking.

I filed an insurance claim and the "inspectors" insist that the leak is due to wear and tear and not the impact.

Please help me understand how they can differentiate between the two (wear and tear versus pothole impact) because I'm certain the leak was caused by the impact.

Thank you in advance.

My car has 101000 km.

3. Wear&Tear versus Accident damage to Shocks