Q: Way more noise than there should be inside of a car as new as this one

There is a strange rattling noise coming from the dashboard of my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. It started happening at around 30,000 miles and has gotten slightly worse over time (I'm now at 45,000 miles). At certain speeds, it is much louder, with the loudest noise occurring at around 45 mph. How can I get it to stop?

The problem appears to be speed related. Rattles due to speed occur when two parts vibrate against one another. The noise pertaining to your issue is caused by the plastic cowl which goes under the windshield wiper arm vibrating on the window. Because it flaps in the wind, the rattle gets worse when you go faster. You need to have the cowl panel inspected for loose or missing mountings, cracks, and warpage beyond acceptable limits. If these items check out ok, then you can have silicone or adhesives applied between the two parts to keep the cowl and window from vibrating against one another in the wind. YourMechanic can provide this service for you.

• Way more noise than there should be inside of a car as new as this one