Q: Water pump / still over heating

I recently replaced my water pump but my gauge still says it's over heating but there's not one bit of smoke coming from it and it still holds water and anti freeze and leaks a little. When I brake hard it goes straight to the red zone, I pull over and turn off the car for 10 minutes and when I turn it on, its in the middle of the gauge then when I take off, it starts over heating in about 5 minutes.

This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.