Q: Water pump leaking

I have water leaking from the water pump in my vehicle. Some other problems include the Check Engine light is coming on, I am experiencing a loss of power, the fuel mileage is getting worse, and I hear a high screeching sound when starting the car in the morning. Finally, when I turn the steering wheel, the car makes a crackling sound.

I suggest having the water pump leak resolved first. The engine relies on the water pump to circulate coolant through it. Without proper circulation, the engine will overheat, which could cause irreversible engine damage.

The Check Engine Light is on because your vehicle’s on board computer system has detected a malfunction. The malfunction is likely creating your loss of power and poor fuel mileage. It will require a code reader to tell what malfunction the computer has detected.

The screeching noise is probably due to the drive belt being saturated with engine coolant from the water pump leaking onto it. The crackling sound could also be from the belt or due to a power steering leak, pump failure, or a bad steering rack.

I suggest having a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a comprehensive diagnostic inspection of your vehicle in order to assess which issues need immediate attention.