Q: Water leak

Every time I move my car, I need to add a gallon of water to only have to put more water in five minutes later.

Hi, I’m assuming you are adding this to the cooling system. If there are no puddles developing underneath the car then there is an internal leak somewhere. Typically the head gasket is damaged somewhere and the mixture of coolant and water could be contaminating the oil or getting into the cylinder which can seriously damage the heads or pistons. If there is coolant getting inside the cylinder, you should be able to see steam coming out from the tailpipe.

If nothing comes out of the tail pipe, check the dipstick. Oil that is contaminated with water and coolant will be milky. This should be repaired as soon as possible as all of these possibilities are bad for the engine. Running low on coolant risks overheating the engine, contaminated oil doesn’t lubricate the engine as well, and water doesn’t compress in the cylinders which can damage the valves. One of our certified technicians here at YourMechanic would be able to help you diagnose the issue further and help determine the source of the leak.