Q: High RPM surging

Was driving at 50mph suddenly the rpm spiked to 7,000 then went to 2000 then spiked to 7,000 again and I heard a crack. Car will not start now

Hi There, This could be a couple of different things such as a vacuum leak or an EGR valve that may be stuck open and allowing too much flow into the intake manifold. One way to test this is to spray some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected, however be very careful when doing this if you are not familiar with diagnosing your own vehicles as this can be dangerous. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. High RPM surging